Wednesday 16 September 2015

Charleston: A Bloomsbury House & Garden



This summer my collection of coffee table books grew larger when on my birthday I got a copy of Charleston: A Bloomsbury House and Garden by Quentin Bell and his daughter Virginia Nicholson. Quentin was the son of artist Vanessa Bell (author Virginia Woolf's sister) and her husband Clive. The book tells the story of the Charleston House in Sussex, which Vanessa took on rent during World War I - by then her marriage to Clive was in name only.

Continue reading & view more photos »

2 comments:

  1. I love the layered texture of these rooms. This book is now something that now I'm going to hunt down to read. Love how you wrote about it, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Jo. I'm not surprised that the book appeals to you.

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.