Wednesday 15 October 2014

V&A Museum: The Fabric of India exhibition



So I thought, why not simply continue with the Indian theme on the blog this week. I was viewing the website of the V&A Museum in London when I came across an exhibition called The Fabric of India that starts next autumn.

The exhibition is part of the V&A's India Season and features handmade Indian textiles from the 3rd to the 21st century, among others, a wide range of historic costumes, an 18th-century tent belonging to Tipu Sultan (1750-1799), and contemporary fashion items by Manish Arora and Rajesh Pratap Singh. If Indian textiles fascinate you I think you should grab your day planner and plan a London trip sometime between 26 September 2015 and 10 January 2016.

If you cannot make it to London there is a blog about the exhibition on the V&A website, where you can read all about it.

Speaking of Indian textiles. I have to point out this book, Indian Textiles: The Karun Thakar Collection, which I discovered last summer on the Style Court blog by Courtney Barnes (if textiles are your passion her blog is a wonderful read. In fact, I just noticed that earlier this month she blogged about the same exhibition). I haven't had the chance to browse through the book, yet, but I have a good feeling about it and immediately added it to my wish list.

photo credit:
1: 20th-century Indian wall hanging (detail) via Victoria and Albert Museum | 2: the cover of the book Indian Textiles: The Karun Thakar Collection, published by Prestel (discovered via Style Court)


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an interesting exhibition. There is so much happening in London pretty much any time of year I think. Last week there was a Hans Zimmer concert on the 10th and 11th and I so wish I could have made it, but there were too many things that didn't fit into place in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go broke if I lived in London … too much to do and see!

      Delete
  2. Wow this looks so beautiful! I love the V&A museum, it's so magical and they have the best exhibits! Hoping all is well with you! I'll be curious how you like that book when you finally get it :)

    p.s. Still hoping to spot a good bag for M...maybe this weekend!
    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, that book his high on my wish list; it will find it's way to my coffee table.

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.