Monday 23 June 2014

Archist City by illustrator Federico Babina

Last week I came across these illustrations, Archist City, by Italian artist Federico Babina, where he playfully interprets art as architecture and vice versa. The ones with Serra and Miró immediately grabbed my attention. A few seconds later it were Dalí and Mondrían, then Rothko, and after that I was simply awestruck by Babina's vision and beautiful design.
About his project Babina says:
Art and architecture are disciplines that speak and lightly touch each other, the definition and function of the architecture are changing constantly with the development of contemporary art. In this exercise of style I took pleasure imagining architecture steeped of art, designed and constructed through the interpretation of an artist’s language… It is easy to find the art hidden behind an architectural shape or see reflected a geometry of a building painted on a canvas. It is impossible to conceive of the history of art in exclusion from that of architecture. (In/Out blog)
I could have posted all the illustrations but decided on these seven. Now I'm a bit curious to know which you find most impressive.

photo credit:
Illustrator Federico Babina (discovered via In/Out blog - Arent & Pyke)

2 comments:

  1. Such a fun and great series! I think my favorite is the Mondrian one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serra, Fontana, and Dali, of course, those are my picks, so striking in their simplicity and complexity at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.