Tuesday 27 November 2012

interior design: brussels townhouse


Perhaps 'fireplace envy' would have been a more honest and proper title for this post. I think there is a fireplace in almost every room of this townhouse in Brussels, Belgium, built in 1907, that was featured in the May 2011 issue of Elle Decor. I love the room above with all that natural light and bleached oak floors. Probably the fireplace isn't functioning, as I think I spot candles in it, but I love the room anyway.

Even though I wouldn't choose it myself, there is something about the colour palette of the living room/library below that appeals to me, it feels balanced and I like the harmony in there. The mantel is original and that gorgeous ottoman is custom-made. I think I have said it before that bookshelves with a ladder make my knees weak.


There is something about that white hallway. It's so simple looking and yet so elegant. The room with the small desk and chaise lounge is the guest room, which makes me want to be a guest in that house.

If you want to see the rest of the house then visit the link below.

photo credit:
Simon Upton for Elle Decor, May 2011

6 comments:

  1. Its a very eclectic home isn't it. I love the entrance and that light fitting. And the beautiful detailed cornices and walls are magic:) aah, a fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love the oak floors, as well as the living room colour palette, which feels restful and calming. As for the fireplace? I've longed for an open fire ever since I left home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lisa, it is me who will choose that light purple color for the living room, so I am very happy you have shared it with us. Even though the living room is purple, I would not mind about a white, immaculate hallway, I hope one day I will have a house with staircase...Yesterday, at my Dutch lesson, the teacher asked me about "mijn ideale huis" and I think I could have shown her some of your pictures :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't resist a fireplace, bookcase with a ladder propped against it either. And I love the hallway too. Simplicity and elegance go hand in hand. And oak is my favourite type of wood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bookcase, the entrance hall, the fireplace... Shall I continue? This really is a home, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.